The Application was Unable to Start correctly 0xC0000142 | Unable to Start correctly 0xC0000142 | What Causes Error 0xc0000142 | How to Fix Application Error 0xc0000142 | Error 0xc0000142 | What is error code 0x0000142 |
Table of Contents
The Application was Unable to Start correctly 0xC0000142
This article includes instructions to get to the bottom of the following error in Windows 10, 8, or 7 OS. “Unable to start the application correctly (0xC0000142). Click OK to close the application”.
Error 0xc0000142 often occurs when you try to run an outdated or useless application and in most cases, the answer to getting to the bottom of error 0xc0000142 is to replace the application that caused the error.
In individual cases, the 0xc0000142 problem can be caused by a virus infection, either by the graphics card drivers, or by a Windows update that didn’t work correctly.
The application was unable to start efficiently once 0xC0000142 In this article, you explore some strategies to restore error 0xC0000142: Application used to be unable to start properly, in Windows 10, 8/8.1
What Causes Error 0xc0000142?
Error 0xc0000142 usually occurs on Windows 10, but it can also have an effect on decreasing Windows versions. It is no longer clear what causes error 0xc0000142. Although, this regularly happens after Windows Update, it could also possibly be caused by a virus or a malfunction of the application you are trying to use.
Other Causes of the error include:
1)Missing System files
3)The software you’re attempting to run is out of date
4)Incomplete Windows Update patches
5)Corrupt registry files
How to Fix Application Error 0xc0000142?
Before you move on to this option, you can do the following fixes:
1. Restart the software you are trying to open
2. Reboot your PC and open the application/program once again and see if the error is resolved
3. Disable any third-party antivirus or firewall software on your PC.
Follow these directions for an easy error 0xc0000142 fix:
Run the Application as an Administrator
It is possible that running any application as an administrator can help rectify the x0xc0000142 error. To set the utility to continually ask for Administrator permission to open:
- Locate application
Firstly, discover the software you prefer to open and right-click on it
- Compatibility tab
Go to the Compatibility tab
- Check the box
Check the field beside “Run this software as an administrator “Run as administrator – software properties
Click Apply and then OK
Uninstall Third-Party Antivirus Program(s)
Some antivirus packages are very conscious and can supply false positives that cease the application you are making an attempt to run. After disable the antivirus, you see error 0xc0000142, uninstall the antivirus it may also be the solution.
Before you uninstall the program, you should do a complete scan of your system. This will help remove any hidden malware that might be causing the problem.
Start the Computer in Safe Mode to Fix Error 0xc0000142
Starting your device in Safe Mode will close every non-essential application or software during the Windows launch.
This will ensure that only the most essential applications are running as only secure drivers will be running. While your PC is in safe mode, non-core aspects are disabled.
If any non-core aspect at some stage of the utility launch is causing the gadget to show error 0xc0000142, Safe Mode will turn it off, and you will be able to open your program.
Booting in Safe Mode is also a great technique to prevent apps like Yourphone.exe from loading. You can uninstall and remove malicious apps in these environments without any difficulty because third-party software programs are no longer allowed to run.
Start your PC on Safe Mode from the Settings:
- Right Click the Windows Start button and go to Settings.
- Go to Update & Security > Recovery.
- In the Advanced Startup, click on Restart Now.
- After Restart, go to choose an option and Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced Options, then Startup Settings > Restart. You may be asked for the Bit locker Recovery Key. If asked, enter it and Click on Restart.
- After the Restart, choose the Startup Settings that you want.
Your PC will reboot, presenting you with a menu. After that, select option 4 to Enable Safe Mode or choose option 5 to select Safe Mode with Networking if you’re connected to a Network.
If you suspect that malware may be hiding in your system, then Safe Mode is the perfect opportunity to run your anti-malware program and remove the malware that is causing the 0xc0000142 error. This is right time to uninstall any recent Windows update that could be causing the error.
Perform a Clean System Boot
Clean Boot immediately disables all third-party functions and non-essential Microsoft offerings so that only the primary drivers can run. This will help you locate any third-party software or software that might be responsible for error 0xc0000142.
To function a Clean Boot:
- Press Win + R.
Then type msconfig and click on OK
- Under the General tab, make sure ‘Selective startup’ is checked.
- Under the ‘selective startup’ tab, uncheck ‘Load startup items.
- Select the Service tab and check the ‘Hide all Microsoft services.’ box
- Click ‘Disable all’ to disable all third-party services.
- On the Startup tab, click on ‘Open Task Manager.’
- In the Task Manager, disable all the enabled startup items.
Click OK, then Restart your PC.
If Clean Boot does not pick up a start-up system that is causing the error, the problem must be associated with the required Microsoft services.
Reinstall or Update the program
The “The application was once unable to start correctly” error (0xc0000142) is due to the fact that the software is out of date, so you may also want to replace it to proceed with its use.
You need to install the latest model of the application. If the problem persists even after updating the application, then completely uninstall the software from your PC and then reinstall it.
Run System File Checker (SFC) and DISM Scans on Your PC
Error 0xc0000142 can also appear due to the fact of corrupted PC files. SFC Scan will take a look at corrupted system documents and restore them to get your PC back to everyday working conditions.
- Right-click the Windows button. Then click on Command Prompt (Admin) (or Windows Power Shell (Admin).
- In the command prompt, type Sfc /scannow, and press Enter.
- Wait for the SFC method to complete, then restart your device.
- The SFC Scan is an effective tool that can clear up error 0xc000012d, error 0xc0000022 and many different Windows Update error codes.
Run the DISM Tool
Before you run DISM, make sure you have a running internet connection because it may need to download fresh copies to replace corrupted data.
- Press Win + S to open the Windows search box.
- In the search box, type cmd
- Right-click Command Prompt then click Run as Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type (or copy-paste) the following command and press Enter:
- When the scan is finished, restart your PC and check if the issue has been resolved.
SFC and DISM scans must be run together. They have exceptionally practical methods related to fixing corrupt system files and using them together will improve your chances of solving the problem.
Error 0xc0000142 FAQ
How to fix: Application error 0xC0000142 in MS Office 2016 or 2019.
Method 1. Uninstall Recent Windows Updates or Office.
Method 2. Restore your System to its former operating system.
Method 3. Adjusting Office Installation.
What is error code 0x0000142?
Causes of “error code 0x0000142”
If you have received this warning on your PC, it means that there was a malfunction in your operating system.