In February 2023, the world will celebrate its second annual National Women Physicians Day. This special day was created to recognize and celebrate the achievements of women physicians around the globe. This year’s celebration is dedicated to acknowledging the incredible work being done by women in the medical profession and how their contributions have shaped our healthcare system.
We’ll also explore some of the challenges facing female physicians today and how we can support them in their journey. Join us as we commemorate this important day!
Table of Contents
What is National Women Physicians Day?
National Women Physicians Day is a day to celebrate and recognize the accomplishments of women in medicine. It is also a day to encourage more women to enter the field of medicine and to support women physicians in their careers. National Women Physicians Day is observed on February 3rd each year.
The day was first observed in 2008, and has been celebrated annually since then. The day is sponsored by the American Medical Association (AMA) Foundation, in partnership with the American Medical Association (AMA) Alliance and the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
Each year, on National Women Physicians Day, the AMA Foundation recognizes a outstanding woman physician who has made significant contributions to her field and her community. This year’s recipient is Dr. Mary-Claire King, a geneticist best known for her discovery of the BRCA1 gene, which predisposes carriers to breast cancer.
In addition to recognizing an outstanding woman physician, National Women Physicians Day also provides an opportunity to support women physicians in their careers. One way you can do this is by donating to the AMA Foundation’s Fund for Women Physicians , which provides grants and scholarships to help women physicians achieve their goals.
When is National Women Physicians Day?
National Women Physicians Day is celebrated annually on February 3rd to honor the women who have made significant contributions to the field of medicine. This day also serves as a reminder of the importance of gender diversity in the medical profession and the need for continued support of women physicians.
There are many ways to celebrate National Women Physicians Day. Here are some ideas:
- Share information about successful women physicians on social media using the hashtag #NWPF (National Women Physicians Foundation)
- Attend or host an event celebrating women physicians in your community.
- Make a donation to a scholarship fund for women interested in pursuing a career in medicine.
- Write a letter of support or encouragement to a young woman considering a career in medicine.
The History of National Women Physicians Day
- March 18th is National Women Physicians Day, a day to celebrate the many achievements of women in medicine and to recognize the unique challenges they face.
- The history of National Women Physicians Day dates back to March 18, 1967, when a group of female medical students at Harvard Medical School staged a sit-in to protest the school’s discriminatory admissions policies. The students’ demands were simple: that women be given equal access to medical education and that the school create a more diverse and inclusive environment.
- The sit-in was successful, and within weeks, Harvard had changed its admissions policy. The event was a watershed moment for women in medicine, and has been celebrated every year since.
- While much progress has been made since 1967, there is still work to be done to ensure that women physicians have the same opportunities and resources as their male counterparts. National Women Physicians Day is an important reminder of how far we’ve come, and how much further we have to go.
Why We Celebrate National Women Physicians Day
There are many reasons to celebrate National Women Physicians Day. Here are just a few:
- To recognize the significant contributions women physicians have made to the medical profession.
- To celebrate the progress women physicians have made in achieving equality in the workplace.
- To support and encourage women physicians as they continue to face challenges in the medical field.
- To inspire young women to pursue careers in medicine.
How to Celebrate National Women Physicians Day
In order to celebrate National Women Physicians Day, there are a few things that can be done.
- First, make sure to thank the women physicians in your life! Whether it’s your mother, sister, friend, or doctor – let them know how much you appreciate their dedication to their career.
- Secondly, take the time to learn about and celebrate the accomplishments of women physicians throughout history.
- Finally, use this day as an opportunity to encourage young women who are interested in becoming doctors. Show them that there are role models out there who have made a difference in the medical field!
National Women Physicians Day is an important day to recognize and celebrate the contributions of women in healthcare. Every woman physician has made her own unique contribution to making our world a better place, whether it be through research or providing excellent care for patients. From the first female doctor in 1849 to those working today, we owe them all a debt of gratitude for their resilience and dedication. On this National Women Physicians Day 2023, let us take some time out of our day to pause and appreciate the many amazing women physicians who have served us!
Follow Us On Other Social Media